Vehicles are more delicate machines than one would believe. Since they are usually so durable, you wonder how one part could completely corrupt the entire car. The system of any car is made up of interconnected parts. Each serves a vital function that helps your vehicle perform at optimal conditions. When one fails, it produces a domino effect that eventually causes other parts of it to fail.
This is the case with the knock sensor of a car. It is crucial in the operation of the engine, and as we all know, a bum engine means that you have to take the bus to work. No one wants that, so it’s important to have your knock sensor repaired when problems arise before the domino effect can begin.
In this article, you are going to learn about:
● What a knock sensor is and what it does
● Why it is so important
● Warning signs of knock sensor failure
● What to do when the sensor is failing
When your car makes a “knocking” sound, this means that air and fuel are being ignited before the spark plugs. This is dangerous because it increases air pressure in the cylinder more than is normal. This can puncture the pistons in the engine and cause extensive damage in some situations.
The knock sensor of a car is a small, cylindrical part that detects irregularities and malfunctions in the combustion of the engine. Its job is to tell the vehicle’s computer when these irregularities happen so that it can correct the timing of the combustion.
Knock sensors are vital to the function of your car because they prevent your engine from being damaged due to too much air pressure caused by the air and fuel mixture mentioned above.
When the engine does experience extensive damage, your car will break down. This is inconvenient for you, sure, but it is also dangerous and costly to fix. Before you know it, a faulty knock sensor could leave your wallet empty and could put you in a tough situation with no easy access to transportation.
If and when the knock sensor in your car malfunctions or fails, you will experience a combination of these symptoms. They will warn you that there is a problem and that you need to fix it as soon as you can.
● The engine will make knocking noises. This is the most obvious sign that you should be looking for, as the job of the knock sensor is to keep that from happening.
● The engine will misfire.
● Your car will vibrate as you accelerate. This can be due to a number of different reasons, but in combination with the others, you can be suspicious that the knock sensor is bad.
● Your fuel economy is lowered. If you find yourself stopping for gas more than you usually do while driving the same distances and speeds, your knock sensor could be failing.
● The check engine lamp is illuminated. Sometimes, it takes cars multiple times to register this failure and illuminate the warning symbol, so look for other signs first.
When the knock sensor does eventually fail, as all car parts naturally do, you should immediately find a mechanic you can trust to repair any resulting damage and replace the part before anything serious happens.
If you are a BMW owner, you can’t just trust anyone to do the job right the first time without charging you ridiculous amounts of money that you shouldn’t have to spend. If you want the best care for the price you pay, you should see the qualified mechanics at Ultimate Bimmer Service. Our Master Certified Technicians have 30 years between them of experience in servicing BMWs, more than most of the competition could offer you.
In addition to the replacement of your faulty knock sensor, we can diagnose any other problems, inspect your BMW, and give it any repairs or regular maintenance that it needs. You don’t have to look all over town for a complete package because you have just found it. If you are located in the Carrolton or Dallas areas of Texas, make an appointment and help us help you today.